Face of Namibia - a glimpse (Interview)

Left, Leah Makanga current holder of Face Namibia, Right Mary Shikongo, Organizer and Initiator of  Face of Namibia
Face of Namibia is back, and according to its organizer Mary Shikongo, this year’s event will be bigger and better. Face of Namibia was launched in March 2010 with emphasis of empowering Namibian Women. “Face of Namibia is a totally different concept from a beauty pageant, this event is more about empowering a Woman, the moment she is chosen as a Winner” Shikongo emphasis through an email conversation.

Leah Makanga is the previous  winner of the Face of Namibia annual event. In this interview she shares her experience about Face of Namibia. Leah has a great impact on the current face of Namibia event that is due to take place on the 16th November 2013 at the Hilton Hotel.

Check out the Interview after the Jump.


Who is Leah Makanga?

I am a 22 year old young lady. Who hails from Rundu and currently residing in Windhoek. I am a goal driven person and I work hard to achieve my objectives. I enjoy interacting with people from different spheres of life as this enables me to learn new things. I am always up for a new challenge. I am a free spirit, bubbly, easy-going and open-minded.

What has been your role as Face of Namibia 2012?

My role as Face of Namibia has led me to be an ambassador for young ladies in Namibia. Face of Namibia has given me the platform to empower and interact with young people by sharing ideas, emotions and the different experiences we go through every day in our lives as Namibian youth. It has also enabled me to give back to the less vulnerable. I donated a computer and printer to the Women and Child protection Unit of the Erongo region shorty after I was crowned. I also donated early Christmas gifts to the learners of Dosa and Livayi villages in the Kavango region courtesy of Exclusive Safaris late last year.


What are the qualities needed for Face of Namibia?

Face of Namibia is an organization that was established with the aim to empower Namibian women. The Face of Namibia should be a lady with a strong personality, kind heart with posture, self-confidence and inner & outer beauty. A strong personality enables one to know how to handle yourself in public as well the media and other situations. You should be approachable and humble.

What is the ultimate thing you have done after your reign?

The ultimate thing that I have done will be the difference I made with the little I gave back to the community especially to the children, seeing their warm smiles and being appreciative of the little they receive. And the fact that I had the opportunity to inspire mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers and friends at the Face of Namibia fundraising gala dinner where I gave my women empowerment speech.

What is your personal advice to the upcoming Face of Namibia?

As the current title holder of Face of Namibia, my advice to the next Face of Namibia is to continue with the title's tradition by giving back to the less vulnerable and inspire more Namibian women. She should engage in more community work and have discussions with the youth in order to know what they want and how she can help them.

What else do you do besides being Face of Namibia?

 I am a full time 3rd year Industrial Psychology student at the University of Namibia. I am majoring in Industrial Psychology and my minor is Sociology. I am also a part time free-lance model.

What do you think is lacking when it comes to Women empowerment in the Namibian Society, and what can Government do about it?

As much as there are a lot of campaigns in support of women empowerment, Namibian women are still being undermined. Inequality is a big factor especially in the work place as well as at home. And the fact that strict measures are not in place to punish culprits that abuse and rape women and children just shows that inequality.

The government should establish projects run by women for women to instil empowerment in our Namibian women.

Comments

Share-Ask.com said…

To Fly Drive Namibia i prefer this website


http://www.travelnthrill.com/for-safaris-and-sightseeing-welcome-to-cote-divoire

Popular Posts